Hurricanes myths and fallacies uncovered
As hurricanes have become more frequent than earlier, lot of people are quite inquisitive about gaining a deep insight related to the same. Unfortunately, only few people can obtain appropriate knowledge of various facts about powerful storms and rest are in the form of misconceptions that lack any scientific explanation. Let’s have a quick look on those fallacies and the counter truth:
- If the wind direction is from the south then the hurricane is approaching towards the north side of yours. In reality, it is approaching towards the west side of yours. So beware.
- Trimming of tress at end moment is one of the biggest misconceptions. If pruned braches are not disposed in a proper manner, they may convert into flying debris and may prove to be more harmful. Thus, it is better to give up the thought of trimming the trees, when hurricane is already on its way.
- It is believed that focusing on protecting on the side facing will create a big difference. However, the truth is that it is difficult to predict about the course of the hurricane as it may be changed at any time. All sides require same attention regarding protection.
- Taping windows may prove to be helpful up to some extent but later on, removing tapes may turn into a daunting task. Also putting up hurricane shutters after the storm warning is useless so install these in advance. Keep windows and doors covered as soon as the warning is issued.
- Opening windows, in order to equalize pressure of the hurricane may prove to be harmful so it is better to keep the windows closed.
- It is assumed by majority of people that roof is the most vulnerable area but the truth is that, it is a garage door and not roof. A garage door may be protected by using garage door braces.
- A densely populated area, featuring tall buildings and sky scrapper is considered as safe. However, the truth is that nearby buildings may pose more threat as the materials of destroyed buildings may act as like flying debris and pose more threat.
- Generally one of the biggest misconceptions is that slower formation of hurricane reduces its force, but in reality, the slower the formation of a hurricane, the more it turns dangerous.
- Few people begin panicking and rush to outdoor areas when hurricane arrives, that is among one of the biggest blunders. It is not at all considered safe to step outside during hurricane.
- It is presumed that one of the two trailing side of a quadrant is most risky but in reality it is right-hand leading quadrant.
- It is believed that Florida is the least risky area because a hurricane loses its strength before reaching to that area. However, there is no scientific explanation of the same belief.
- Surprisingly, few people mistake monsoon as some kind of weaker form of hurricane but in reality, it can’t be considered as a storm even.
- Another major fallacy about a hurricane is that majority of deaths are caused by flying debris or structural failures. However, the truth is that majority of the deaths are caused by drowning in floods or rock slides. People can save themselves and their home with the help of hurricane shutters but if there is flood, then the situation gets worse.
- Most of the people assume that insurance is the safest way to minimize hurricane damages but it is better to ensure using all ways and means to protect house and other precious assets.